Thursday 4 November 2010

Words, Weekends and Wickerman

Why do I always seem to find more to do when I already have a list as long as my arm? As if I didn't already have a queue of things patiently awaiting my attention, I decided to sign up for NaNoWriMo. For those not in the know that is short for National Novel Writing Month and it is happening now.

I must admit I have always wanted to write a novel but never had the motivation. This seemed like the perfect way to get started. You have a clear goal (50,000 words in 30 days) and plenty of support if you join in on the forums and events. What you write doesn't have to be blindingly brilliant, it's just a first draft after all. Four days in and I'm just on target, my hubby has read chapter one and says he wants to read more (always a good thing to hear) and I have a rough idea of where I want the story to go (although I neglected to do any advance planning - oops!).

Unfortunately there are side effects I had not counted on. My eyes seem to be losing the ability to focus due to spending hours starting at a blank white page. I have a head that feels like it's stuffed with cotton wool. I feel guilty if I do anything, including eat, before I've at least managed to write a few hundred words for the day. And I'm beginning to worry that I won't manage to leave the house for the whole of November.

At least I spent my last weekend of freedom (for a month) out in the fresh air at Archaeolink and just to prove it ...


(Did I say fresh air? Better change that to flame-filled.)

No comments:

Post a Comment